Gas- and Oil-Fired Plants in Russia - Northwestern FD
Arkhangelsk
Location: Arkhangelsk
Operator: TGC-02
Configuration: 2 X 60 MW, 2 X 55 MW, 1 X 100 MW, 1 X 110 MW CHP
Operation: 1971-2003
Fuel: natural gas, HFO
Boiler supplier: Taganrog
T/G supplier: TMZ, LMZ
EPC: Siltumelektroprojekts
Quick facts: This is the main CHP plant in the port city of Arkhangelsk. Development was started by Sevenergostroy. The plant converted to natural gas beginning in Apr 2011.

Photograph by Sasha Krotov (wikipedia)
Posted 20 Mar 2015

Avtovskaya
Location: Leningrad
Operator: TGC-01
Configuration: 5 X 22 MW, 2 X 100 MW, 2 X 30 MW CHP
Operation: 1956-2003
Fuel: natural gas, oil
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: TMZ, LMZ, Electrosila
Quick facts: Also known as St Petersburg-15. This is the main CHP plant in the southwestern part of St Petersburg. Heating capacity is 1,849 Gcal/hr.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-01
Posted 4 May 2011

Dubrovskaya
Location: Leningrad
Operator: OOO Stroymontazhenergoservis
Configuration: 200 MW, 2 X 50 MW (ret) 1 X 5 MW CHP
Operation: 1946-1958
Fuel: natural gas, oil
Boiler supplier: Podoloski
T/G supplier: BMZ
Quick facts: This landmark PS on the left bank of the Neva River in Kirovsk is also known as St Petersburg-8. It was acquired by the local heating ccmpany from TGC-01 in Apri 2016. In the fall of 1929, construction began on the first generators at the site and the first T/G set completed in in Mar 1933. In 1940, the plant reached 200 MW installed, the largest plant in Leningrad and the largest thermal plant in the Soviet Unon, Fuels were peat, natural gas, fuel oil, and coal. The plant was destroyed by fighting in the fall of 1941. Reconstruction began shortly after the siege of Leningrad was lifted and the first unit came back online in Mar 1946. Full production at pre-War levels resumed in 1950 and the plant reached 300 MW by 1957. From 1991 to 1997, all boilers weverted to natural gas as the primary fuel.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-01
Posted 24 Jul 2016

Kirishi
Location: Leningrad
Operator: OGK-2
Configuration: 6 X 300 MW
Operation: 1969-1975
Fuel: natural gas, oil
Boiler supplier: Taganrog
T/G supplier: LMZ, Electrosila
EPC: Siltumelektroprojekts
Quick facts: Kirishi is 150km southeast of St Petersburg. The supercritical units were built to burn heavy fuel oil from the KINEF refinery and were later converted to natural gas capabability. Units 1&2 share a 180m stack. Units 3-6 are paired off to a 320m stack and the second 320m stack is used for hotwater boilers. Unit-6 has been repowered into an 800-MW, 2+1 CCGT plant. Also known as St Petersburg-19. Adjacent is the 290-MW Kirishi TETS plant.

Photograph courtesy of OGK-2
Posted 24 Mar 2012

Murmansk TEZ
Location: Leningrad Oblast
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 2 X 6-MW CHP
Fuel: fuel oil
Operation: 1934
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: ??
Quick facts: This CHP plant supplies heat and hot water to about 75% of the inhabitants of Murmansk. There are about a dozen boilers and heating capacity is 1,122 Gcal/hr. The thermal plant was put into operation on 25 Mar 1934 and the first heating lines were comissioned in Sep 1939. The plant was designed to burn coal and fully converted to oil in 1971. Murmansk TEZ was part of Kolenergo until 2005, then became part of RAO UES and finally became part of TGC-1 in 2007.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 28 Dec 2016

Pechora
Location: Komi
Operator: JSC Pechora SDPP
Configuration: 3 X 210 MW, 2 X 215 MW CHP
Operation: 1979-1991
Fuel: natural gas, associated gas
Boiler supplier: Taganrog
T/G supplier: LMZ, Electrosila
EPC: Teploproject Institute Riga
Quick facts: Pechora is 3km east of Pechora city on the right bank of the Pechora River. The fuel is a mixture of pipeline gas from the Western-Soplessky field and associated gas from the Kyrtayelsky oil fields. The plant has a man-made cooling pond. Installed thermal capacity is 387 Gcal and during the winter an auxiliary boiler can supply an additional 24 gcal/h from the starter boiler. A 13km network supplies heat to all of Pechora’s railroad district and partially supplies the riverside district. Overall, Pechora supplies about 60% of the Komi republic’s power. A sixth unit was in the original design but is unscheduled. The plant is part of WGC-3.

Photograph courtesy of WGC-3
Posted 19 Aug 2006

Pskov
Location: Pskov
Operator: OGK-2
Configuration: 2 X 215 MW
Operation: 1993-1997
Fuel: natural gas
Boiler supplier: Taganrog
T/G supplier: LMZ, SE Plant Electrotyazhmash
Quick facts: These unis were designed to burn milled peat, but later converted to natural gas.

Photograph courtesy of OGK-2
Posted 24 Mar 2012

Severnaya
Location: Leningrad Oblast
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 5 X 100 MW CHP
Fuel: natural gas, fuel oil
Operation: 1974-1983
Boiler supplier: Taganrog
T/G supplier: TMZ
Quick facts: This CHP plant supplies elecricity and heat to around 700,000 inhabitats of Kalinin, Vyborg and Vsevolozhsk districts of St. Petersburg and Leningrad oblast. Heating capacity is 1,188 Gcal/hr. Construction began on 29 Dec 1970 and the fist unt was put online on 27 Aug 1975. A second phase with 2 X 220 MW sets has been delayed. This plant is aka Northern or St Petersburg-21.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 28 Dec 2016

Vasileostrovskaya
Location: Leningrad Oblast
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 1 X 25 MW, 2 X 50 MW CHP
Fuel: natural gas, fuel oil
Operation: 1960-2009
Boiler supplier: Barnaul
T/G supplier: TMZ, LMZ, Electrosila
EPC: ZAO Energoprojekt
Quick facts: This CHP plant on the Neva River supplies power and heat to the 200,000 inhabitats of Vasilyevsky Island district of St Petersburg. Heating capacity is 1,113 Gcal/hr. It was built from 1931 as St Petersburg No 7 and the first T/G set went onlline on 14 Mar 1932.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 27 Dec 2016

 
Vyborgskaya
Location: Leningrad Oblast
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 2 X 28 MW, 2 X 100 MW CHP
Fuel: natural gas, fuel oil
Operation: 1954-1968
Boiler supplier: Barnaul
T/G supplier: BMZ, TMZ
Quick facts: This CHP plant supplies elecricity and heat to 400,000 inhabitats of alinin, Vyborg and Krasnogvardeisky (partial) districts of St. Petersburg. Heating capacity is 1,056 Gcal/hr. It was originally built as the CHP plant for the LMZ works. In 1958, the plant was transferred to Lenergo and named St Petersburg No 17.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 27 Dec 2016

Yuzhnaya
Location: Leningrad Oblast
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 3 X 265 MW CHP
Fuel: natural gas, fuel oil
Operation: 1979-1987
Boiler supplier: Taganrog
T/G supplier: TMZ, Electrosila
Quick facts: The Yuzhnaya plant in Frunze district of St Petersburg was authorized in 1975 for four supercritical conventional units, but, in 1987, the fourth unit was shelved due to lack of funding. 20yrs later, work got underway on a new CCGT block. Also known as St Petersburg-22.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 9 Apr 2014

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 28-Dec-2016

Home