Oil- and Gas-Fired Plants in Pakistan
Bin Qasim
Location: Sind
Operator: Karachi Electric Supply Corp
Configuration: 6 X 210 MW
Operation: 1984-1998
Fuel: natural gas, fuel oil
Boiler supplier: B-H, BB, Ansaldo
T/G supplier: Hitachi, Ansaldo
Quick facts: The photograph is ca 1993 and shows the first five units.

Photograph courtesy of Karachi Electric Supply Corp
Posted 23 Feb 2003

Hub River
Location: Balochistan
Operator: Hub River Power
Configuration: 4 X 323 MW
Operation: 1997
Fuel: fuel oil
Boiler supplier: IHI
T/G supplier: Ansaldo
EPC: Ansaldo, Mitsui, IHI, Campenon Bernard
Quick facts: The plant near Hub Chowki, Balochistan, was an early flagship IPP and initially supplied over 10% of Pakistan's electricity. Fuel oil is delivered by a specially built 78km pipeline and power is delivered to WAPDA by a 180km, dual-circuit 500kV transmission line.

Photograph courtesy of K&M Engineering
Posted 29 Dec 2003

Guddu Steam
Location: Sindh
Operator: Central Power Generation Co Ltd
Configuration: 2 X 110 MW, 2 X 210 MW
Operation: 1974-1986
Fuel: natural gas, fuel oil
Boiler supplier: Brno, TPE, Dongfang
T/G supplier: Skoda, LMZ, Electrosila, Harbin
EPC: National Engineering Services (Pvt) Ltd, Albario Engineering, Shenzhen Energy Engineering, North China Electric Power Design Inst, China International Water & Electric Corp
Quick facts: Guddu TPS is on the right bank of the River Indus at Guddu Barrage, near the junction of Sindh, Balochistan, and Punjab provinces. Project development began in 1963 and this with its CCGT blocks is now the largest thermal plant in the country. The first two blocks cost Rp 705mn Unit-3 (210 MW) was supplied by Technopromexport from the Soviet Union and was the lagest generating unit in the county at completion. Unit-4 was the first large-scale TPP exported by China. USAID is partnering with the GOP to repair and rehabilitate Guddu TPS. The project seeks to restore up to 75 MW of capacity.

Photograph courtesy of USAID
Posted 10 Jul 2013

Jamshoro
Location: Sindh
Operator: Central Power Generation Co Ltd
Configuration: 1 X 250 MW, 3 X 200 MW
Operation: 1989-1992
Fuel: natural gas, fuel oil
Boiler supplier: Mitsui Engineering & Shipbuilding, Harbin
T/G supplier: Fuji, Harbin
EPC: Taihei Dengyo Kaisha Ltd/Descon Engineering Ltd, Frontier Works Organisation, Northeast Electric Power Design Institute, China Machine Building International Corp
Quick facts: Jamshoro TPS is in Jamshoro district, on the right bank of the River Indus at Mohra Jabal, about 18Km from center of Hyderabad. Unit-1 is heavy oil only. USAID is partnering with the GOP to repair and rehabilitate Jamshoro TPS. The project seeks to restore up to 150 MW of capacity.

Photograph courtesy of USAID
Posted 10 Jul 2013

Lal Pir/Pak Gen
Location: Punjab
Operator: LalPir Power Ltd / PakGen Power Ltd
Configuration: 2 X 365 MW
Operation: 1997-1998
Fuel: residual oil
Boiler supplier: MHI
T/G supplier: MHI, Parsons
EPC: Nichimen, Descon Engineering Ltd, Habib Rafiq (Pvt) Ltd
Quick facts: In May 1994, a LOI was issued to AES for Lal Pir, a conventional oil-fired unit at Mehmood Kot, Muzaffargarh. A sister unit known as Pak Gen was developed more or less simultaneously at the same site. The Pak Gen PPA was signed in Sep 1995, financing closed in Jan 1996, and the plant was commissioned in Feb 1998 with a 30yr PPA with WAPDA. Initially, AES owned 90% of each unit with the IFC owning the remaining 10%. In Jun 2010, Pak Gen was acquired by a group of Pakistani businesses led by Nishat Mills. Lal Pir was similarily acquired. The photo shows the stations engulfed in floodwaters arfer heavy rains in Aug 2010.

Photograph courtesy of defence.pk
Posted 1 Oct 2014

Saba
Location: Punjab
Operator: Saba Power Co Ltd
Configuration: 1 X 125 MW
Operation: 1999
Fuel: residual oil
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: Toshiba
EPC: Babcock & Wilcox, National Engineering Services (Pvt) Ltd, Habib Rafiq (Pvt) Ltd
Quick facts: This $154mn IPP was developed by Coastal Power Co in Farooqabad, Sheikhupura Dist. The plant was ordered in Aug 1996 and commissioned on 31 Dec 1999 and has a 30yr PPA with WAPDA. Debt financing for the project was provided by the US Exim Bank and commercial banks.

Photograph courtesy of Habib Rafiq (Pvt) Ltd
Posted 21 Nov 2009

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 07-Dec-2016

Home