Coal-Fired Plants in the USA - Ohio
Ashtabula
Location: OH
Operator: FirstEnergy Corp
Configuration: 4 X 50 MW, 4 X 46 MW, 1 X 256 MW
Operation: 1930-1958 (ret)
Fuel: subbituminous coal
Boiler supplier: B&W, CE
T/G supplier: GE
EPC: CE, Gilbert
Quick facts: In 1948/49, Ashtabula was extended when Union Carbide built Plant C, a 160-MW facility. This was later acquired by Cleveland Electric Illuminating Co, which had previously built an adjacent coal plant, and the four units were closed in 1989. The erstwhile Plant C facility has been proposed for repowering with biomass fuels. The remaining unit on the 137ac site has switched to PRB coal.

Photograph courtesy of FirstEnergy Corp
Posted 5 Dec 2009

Avon Lake
Location: OH
Operator: RRI Energy Inc
Configuration: 5 X 38 MW (ret), 2 X 86 MW (ret) 1 X 235 MW (ret), 1 X 680 MW
Operation: 1926-1970
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: CE, B&W
T/G supplier: GE, WH
EPC: Cleveland Electric Illuminating, S&L
Quick facts: Avon Lake has a 107ac site on the southern shore of Lake Erie. The plant was built by Cleveland Electric, acquired on an interim basis by Duquesne Light, auctioned off to Orion Power Holdings in Oct 1999, and finally settled with Reliant Energy when that company took over Orion. Only the supercritical Unit-9 remains online. This continues to burn Eastern bituminous coals but is capable of burning PRB coal.

Photograph courtesy of FirstEnergy Corp
Posted 5 Dec 2009

Bay Shore
Location: OH
Operator: FirstEnergy Corp
Configuration: 3 X 140 MW, 1 X 218 MW (ret), 1 X 163 MW CHP
Operation: 1955-2000
Fuel: bituminous coal, pet coke
Boiler supplier: B&W, FW
T/G supplier: WH
EPC: Gibbs & Hill
Quick facts: Bay Shore Unit-1 near toledo was repowered with a Foster Wheeler CFB boiler fueled by pet coke from the nearby BP refinery. The material is deliverd via a 1.5mi conveyor. Up to 300,000 lb/hr of steam can be made available to the refinery for process applications. Units 2-4 were retired in Sep 2012.

Photograph courtesy of FirstEnergy Corp
Posted 11 Sep 2013

Cardinal
Location: OH
Operator: Cardinal Operating Co
Configuration: 2 X 615 MW, 1 X 650 MW
Operation: 1967-1977
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: GE, BBC
EPC: AEP, S&L, J A Jones
Quick facts: All three units are supercritical, Units 1&2 are double reheat. All three units were retrofit with SCR at a cost of $200mn and in 2007/08, wet lime FGD scrubbers from Chiyoda were completed on Units 1&2.  Local cooperative Buckeye Power owns Units 2&3, AEP owns Unit-1 and is plant operator. This is said to be the first such arrangement of joint power station development by an investor-owned utility and a public-power utility. The stack for Units 1&2 is 1,000ft tall, the stack for Unit-3 is 900ft tall. The Unit-3 cooling tower is 423ft tall and 384ft in diameter at the base. The plant is on the Ohio River near Brilliant.

Photograph courtesy of AEP
Posted 19 Sep 2005

Conesville
Location: OH
Operator: AEP Generation Resources
Configuration: 2 X 125 MW, 1 X 165 MW, 1 X 780 MW, 2 X 375 MW
Operation: 1959-1978
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: B&W, RS, CE
T/G supplier: WH
EPC: Ebasco
Quick facts: Supercritical Unit-4 is jointly owned with Cincinnati Gas & Electric and Dayton Power & Light. Conesville cost $516mn to build and about a quarter of the plant coal burn was sourced from a nearby mine owned by AEP. A $35mn coal prep plant was completed in 1985. Units 1&2 were retired 31 Dec 2005 and Unit-3 was closed Dec 2012.

Photograph courtesy of AEP
Posted 21 Sep 2005

Eastlake
Location: OH
Operator: FirstEnergy Corp
Configuration: 3 X 123 MW, 1 X 208 MW, 1 X 680 MW
Operation: 1953-1972 (ret)
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: CE, B&W
T/G supplier: GE
EPC: CE, Gilbert
Quick facts: Unit-5 is supercritical. This was one of the first large units to trip offline in the Aug 2003 Midwest/East Coast blackout, the largest in the USA to that date. The site is on Lake Erie. From 1957 to 1963, the Eastlake plant was supplied with about 6mn tons of coal delivered by a 108mi, 10in diameter coal slurry pipeline originating at the Hanna Coal Co Georgetown coal prep plant in Cadiz, OH. Eastlake site closed in Apr 2015.

Photograph courtesy of FirstEnergy Corp
Posted 29 Nov 2009

Gavin
Location: OH
Operator: Ohio Power Co
Configuration: 2 X 1,300 MW
Operation: 1974-1975
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: BBC
EPC: AEP
Quick facts: Gavin is the largest power plant in Ohio and has two of the seven largest coal-fired generating units ever built. The plant is equipped with FGD and SCR systems (installed after this photo was taken). The stack is 1,001ft tall and cooling towers are 492ft tall. Coal burn at full load is 25,000 tpd. The photo pre-dates the addition of new FGD systems a new short stacks. The plant is named after General James M Gavin.

Photograph courtesy of AEP
Posted 21 Sep 2004

JM Stuart
Location: OH
Operator: Dayton Power & Light Co
Configuration: 4 X 610 MW
Operation: 1971-1974
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: GE
EPC: Ebasco
Quick facts: Stuart is on the Ohio River in Brown Co. Duke Energy owns 39% of the plant, Dayton Power & Light owns 35%, and AEP owns 26%. The plant is named for J M Stuart, who was elected President and CEO of DP&L in 1958. Plant construction started in 1965 and the power station cost $375mn. Stuart has been retrofit with Chiyoda Corp CT-121 FGD scrubbers and SCR. The photo is ca 1995.. A Power Plant Trading Card was made for this plant.

Photograph courtesy of PSI Energy
Posted 29 Nov 2009

Killen
Location: OH
Operator: Dayton Power & Light Co
Configuration: 1 X 666 MW
Operation: 1982
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: GE
EPC: Ebasco, Daniel
Quick facts: In May 2007, DPL and Black & Veatch started-up a Chiyoda Corp CT-121 FGD scrubber at Killen, the largest of its kind in North America at the tine. This and four similar systems at the Stuart plant cost about $500mn. The Killen scrubber guarantees 97% SO2 removal. The FGD project included a river barge limestone receiving system, limestone grinding and prep plants, gypsum dewatering and load-out equipment, and refurbishment work on the 900ft stack. The unit has been test-fired with biomass. Killen is jointly owned with Cinergy Corp. This is Killen Unit-2, Unit-1 was never built. This photo is ca 1995.

Photograph courtesy of PSI Energy
Re-posted 29 Nov 2009

Kyger Creek
Location: OH
Operator: Ohio Valley Electric Corp
Configuration: 5 X 217 MW
Operation: 1955
Fuel: bituminous and subbituminous coal
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: GE, WH
EPC: S&L
Quick facts: In October 1952, Ohio Valley Electric Corp and its wholly-owned subsidiary Indiana-Kentucky Electric Corp were formed by a group of investor-owned utilities in the Ohio Valley to build two coal-fired plants to furnish electricity for the uranium enrichment plant at Portsmouth, OH. From the time of plant operation until 30 Apr 2000, when the enrichment plant sales contract was terminated, these power stations operated at extraordinarily high load factors and for many years were among the most efficient and cost-effective power plants in the U.S. Today, the plants serve regional load via a 345kV transmission system. Current plant ownership rests with 12 utilities, several of which are operating companies of large holding companies. Major investments have been made or are planned in environmental controls at both plants.

Photograph courtesy of Ohio Valley Electric Corp
Posted 12 May 2006

Lake Shore
Location: OH
Operator: FirstEnergy Corp
Configuration: 2 X 60 MW, 2 X 69 MW, 1 X 256 MW
Operation: 1941-1962 (ret)
Fuel: bituminous coal, fuel oil
Boiler supplier: B&W, CE
T/G supplier: GE
Quick facts: The first unit at Lake Shore was opened in 1911 by Cleveland Electric Illuminating Co. The remaining smaller units were converted to oil firing in 1977. Unit-18 was retired in Apr 2015.

Photograph courtesy of FirstEnergy Corp
Posted 29 Nov 2009

Mad River
Location: OH
Operator: Ohio Edison Co
Configuration: 1 X 20 MW, 2 X 25 MW
Operation: 1927-1950 (ret)
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: CE, Riley
T/G supplier: GE
Quick facts: Ohio Edison built this power station at the confluence of Buck Creek and Mad River. The plant was designed by Springfield architect W K Shilling. The units were retired in 1980 (Unit-1) and 1985 (Units 2&3) and the station was demolished in 2010.

Photograph by William McLaughlin (Flickr)
Re-posted 5 Feb 2016

Miami Fort
Location: OH
Operator: Duke Energy Ohio
Configuration: 1 X 100 MW (ret), 1 X 168 MW, 2 X 512 MW
Operation: 1949-1978
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: B&W, CE
T/G supplier: GE, WH
EPC: S&L
Quick facts: Miami Fort is in North Bend 20mi west of Cincinnati. Duke Energy owns 100% of Unit-5 and 64% Units 7&8. Dayton Power & Light owns 36% of these units. The large blocks have been retrofit with SCRs and B&W wet limestone FGDs. In 1993, Miami Fort employees installed a nesting box for peregrine falcons at a 400ft elevation on the Unit-8 stack.

Photograph courtesy of PSI Energy
Re-posted 22 Nov 2009

Muskingum River Units 1-4
Location: OH
Operator: AEP Generation Resources
Configuration: 2 X 220 MW, 2 X 238 MW
Operation: 1953-1958 (ret)
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: GE
EPC: AEP
Quick facts: Muskingum River was built by AEP unit Columbus & Southern Ohio Electric Co on the west bank of the Muskingum River in southern Morgan County. The mine-mouth facility received its fuel by overland conveyor from the former AEP-owned and now closed Central Ohio Coal Co. All four units had cyclone burners. In 1999, Muskingum River received an Ohio Governor's Pollution Prevention Award for increasing plant efficiency, reducing water consumption, and reducing the use of hazardous chemicals. The entire Muskingum River power plant was closed in May 2015.

Photograph courtesy of AEP
Re-posted 16 Jan 2016

Muskingum River Unit-5
Location: OH
Operator: AEP Generation Resources
Configuration: 1 X 615 MW
Operation: 1968 (ret)
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: GE
EPC: AEP
Quick facts: In 1968, Muskingum River Unit-5 was built in Washington Co and this became one of Ohio's largest generating facilities. Coal burn increased to over 3.5mn tpy and this requireed increased fuel supply. In the late 1960s, Central Ohio Coal's built the then world's largest walking dragline named Big Muskie. The machine was retired in 1991 and dismantled in 1999. In 2004, Unit-5 was retrofit with SCR at a cost of about $98mn and the generator was also converted to lower-sulfur coal. The Unit-5 stack is 805ft tall and the cooling tower is 370ft tall and 395ft diameter at the base.

Photograph by Greg Sailor and courtesy of New York Times
Posted 16 Jan 2016

Niles
Location: OH
Operator: RRI Energy Inc
Configuration: 2 X 133 MW
Operation: 1954 (ret)
Fuel: bituminous coal, refuse
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: WH
EPC: Commonwealth Associates
Quick facts: The Haldor-Topsoe SNOX flue gas cleaning technology was demonstrated in a $33mn, U.S. DOE-funded program at Niles Unit-2. The plant has cyclone boilers and was built and operated for many years by Ohio Edison Co. The plant was later sold to Reliance Energy, now RRI Energy, and finally ended up with NRG Genon.

Photograph courtesy of US Department of Energy
Re-posted 23 Nov 2009

O H Hutchings
Location: OH
Operator: Dayton Power & Light Co
Configuration: 6 X 69 MW
Operation: 1948-1953
Fuel: bituminous coal, natural gas
Boiler supplier: CE
T/G supplier: GE
EPC: Ebasco
Quick facts: The O H Hutchings PS in in Miamsburg. Construction on the $50mn PS began in 1946 and Unit-1 went online in Jul 1948. Unit-6 was commissioned in Sep 1953. In 2006, Hutchings installed low-Nox and over-fire air burners on four boilers .Unit-4was shutdown after it suffered rotor damage in 2012 and was officially deactivated and retired on 1 Jun 2013.  The remaining coal units were retired 1 Jun 2015. The plant was named after a DPL General Manager in the 1920s.

Photograph by William McLaughlin (Flickr)
Posted 6 Feb 2016

Painesville
Location: OH
Operator: Painesville Municipal Power
Configuration:1 X 1.5 MW, 1 X 2.5 MW, 2 X 7.5 MW, 1 X 16.5 MW, 1 X 25 MW 1 X 22 MW
Operation: 1923-1976
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: D Connelley, RS, B&W
T/G supplier: AC, GE
EPC: Hadlow, Hughes, Hick & Conrad Inc
Quick facts: This site has been used for power generation since 1908 when the City of Painsville purchased the property from the Painesville Cider and Manufacturing Co. The older units are retired or deactivated.

Painting by Doyt (Panaramio)
Posted 3 Jul 2013

Philo
Location: OH
Operator: Ohio Power Co
Configuration: 2 X 40 MW, 1 X 109 MW, 1 X 85 MW, 1 X 125 MW
Operation: 1925-1957 (ret)
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: GE
Quick facts: Philo was both the site of the first reheat generating unit (Philo-1) and the first supercritical unit with double reheat (Philo-6). In Aug 2003, Philo-6 was named a historic mechanical engineering landmark by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers. Unit design began in 1953 and commercial operation was on 1 Aug 1957. The unit was deactivated in 1975, officially retired in 1979, and the plant dismantled in 1983/84. Babcock & Wilcox built the Unit-6 boiler and General Electric built the T/G set. The feedwater inlet pressure of 5,500psig and the turbine throttle pressure of 4,500psig were almost double the steam pressure previously utilized for power production. Main steam temperatures were 1150F/1050/1000. The cyclone furnace design, integrated unit controls, feedwater chemical control, boiler startup system, and DeLaval feed-pump design were all uniquely developed for this pioneering unit.

Photograph courtesy of AEP
Posted 27 Jun 2007

Picway Unit 5
Location: OH
Operator: AEP Generation Resources Inc
Configuration: 1 X 106 MW
Operation: 1955 (ret)
Fuel: bituminous coal, natural gas
Boiler supplier: RS
T/G supplier: WH
Quick facts: Picway is on the Scioto River in Lockbourne, about 12mi from downtown Columbus. The first of five genrating untis at the site began operations in 1926. Unit-5 was closed in Apr 2015.

Photograph courtesy of AEP
Posted 22 Apr 2015

Piqua
Location: OH
Operator: Piqua Municipal Utilities
Configuration: 1 X 7.5 MW, 1 X 12.5 MW, 1 X 20 MW CHP
Operation: 1947-1961 (ret)
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: ??
Quick facts: The first generating units at this plant on the Miami River went online in 1933 and the plant was built out with district heating capability. The electric section of the plant was decommissioned in 1997 and the hot water section in 2007.

Photograph by C Bergesen
Posted 13 Aug 2003

RE Burger
Location: OH
Operator: FirstEnergy Corp
Configuration: 2 X 63 MW, 1 X 103 MW, 2 X 156 MW
Operation: 1944-1955 (ret)
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: GE, WH
Quick facts: FirstEnergy, Powerspan Inc, the Ohio Coal Development Office, and the U.S. Dept of Energy used Burger for a large-scale demonstration of Powerspan's Electro-catalytic Oxidation (ECO) technology to reduce emissions of SOX and NOX, fine particulates, mercury and other pollutants. The Burger stack was 850ft tall. Units 1&2 retired in 1995, Units 4&5 were closed at the end of 2010, and Unit-3 was retired in 2011. The plant was demolished in 2015/16.

Photograph courtesy of Power
Posted 25 Oct 2004

Tidd
Location: OH
Operator: Ohio Power Co
Configuration: 1 X 111 MW, 1 X 115 Mw
Operation: 1945-1948 (ret)
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: ??
T/G supplier: ??
Quick facts: This was the site of the first combined cycle operation of a PFBC plant in North America. Tidd, which is adjacent to the Cardinal power station, was originally retired in 1979 and the Unit-1 repowering project cost $189.9mn. The PFBC equipmetn was suppled by ASA Babcock. The PFBC project was online from Oct 1990 through Mar 1995 and reached a maxiumum output of 72 MW. Plant namesake George Nathan Tidd was hired in 1904 to operate the Electric Company of America's property in Indiana.

Photograph courtesy of US Department of Energy
Posted 5 Sep 2012

Toronto
Location: MS
Operator: First Energy
Configuration: 5 X 35 MW, 2 X 69 MW
Operation: 1925-1949
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: WH
EPC: Townsend & Bottum
Quick facts: The first phase at Toronto on the Ohio River was commissioned from 1925-1928. Units 1-4 were retired in 1971 and Units 5-7 in 1993. TDF was burned experimentally in the early 1990s. The stack was 650ft tall and finally demolished in 2008.

Photograph by Scott Mosher
Posted 15 Jul 2015

WC Beckjord
Location: OH
Operator: Duke Energy Ohio
Configuration: 2 X 100 MW 1 X 125 MW, 1 X 165 MW, 1 X 434 MW
Operation: 1952-1969 (ret)
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: CE, B&W
T/G supplier: GE, WH
EPC: S&L, Cincinnati Gas & Electric Co
Quick facts: W C Beckjord Station is located in New Richmond. Duke Energy owned 100% of Units 1-5 and 37.5% of Unit 6, which was jointly-owned with Dayton Power & Light (50%) and American Electric Power (12.5%). The units were retrofit with SO3 flue-gas conditioning systems. The plant was named after Walter C Beckjord who was named President of Cincinnati Gas & Electric in 1945. Unit-1 was retired in 2013, Units 2&3 in 2913, Unit-4 n early 2014, and Units 5&6 on 1 Sep 2014. Four CTs were closed on 31 Dec 2014, thereby signaling the end of production at Beckjord after over 60 yrs of operation.

Photograph courtesy of PSI Energy
Posted 22 Nov 2009

WH Sammis
Location: OH
Operator: FirstEnergy Corp
Configuration: 4 X 190 MW, 1 X 334 MW, 2 X 680 MW
Operation: 1959-1971
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: FW, B&W
T/G supplier: GE, Westinghouse
EPC: Commonwealth Assoc, Gilbert, Townsend & Bottum
Quick facts: From 1980-1984, Ohio Edison invested $426mn in new pollution control equipment at Sammis, at the time the largest such project ever undertaken in North America. The new equipment was installed in front of the plant on a deck constructed over four lanes of Ohio State Rt 7. Units 1-4 were retrofit with baghouses and the precipitators at Units 5-7 were upgraded. The primary fuel is Ohio coal blended with lower sulfur regional coal, and more than 60% of all coal used at the plant is washed. In March 2005, FirstEnergy settled a lawsuit with U.S. Environmental Protection Agency resolving New Source Review litigation mainly affecting the Sammis plant. The settlement calls for the investment of $1.1bn in air-pollution control equipment at Sammis. Unit-2 held the U.S. record for continuous operation from 14 Nov 2005 when it completed a run of 1,107 days, 2hr, 59min, until Feb 2007 when the record was broken by TVA's Shawnee-6.

Photograph by Mark Morey
Posted 13 Aug 2003

Woodcock
Location: OH
Operator: Ohio Power Co
Configuration: 2 X 5 MW, 1 X 7.5 Mw, 2 X 12.5 MW
Operation: 1937-1950 (ret)
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: Riley Stoker
T/G supplier: WH
Quick facts: Central Ohipo Light & Power Co built this plant at an abandoned stone quarry east of Bluffton. The quarry was filled with water and used as a 26ac cooling pond. Fuel delivery was via the Akron, Canton & Youngstown Railroad (ACYR). The plant went into reserve in 1958 and was reactivated for a time in 1967. It was finally retired in 1979. This photo was apparently taken before the final two units were added in 1947 and 1950, respectively.

Photograph courtesy of www.blufftonicon.com
Posted 5 Sep 2012

   

Zimmer
Location: OH
Operator: Cinergy Corp
Configuration: 1 X 1,425 MW
Operation: 1991
Fuel: bituminous coal
Boiler supplier: B&W
T/G supplier: BBC, WH
EPC: S&L, Kaiser (nuc), AEP (coal)
Quick facts: This is the largest, single-unit fossil generating unit ever built. It results from the unique conversion and re-use of the LP turbine, cooling system, and site ancillaries associated with the cancelled Zimmer nuclear power plant. A new boiler and HP turbine were added along with other necessary fuel-handling and pollution control equipment. Zimmer began life as an 800-MW BWR and construction got underway in 1969. In 1984, the nuclear project was terminated at over 95% completion. In the meantime, the completion cost had increased from $230mn to an estimated $3.4bn. In 1987, joint owners AEP, Cincinnati Gas & Electric, and Dayton Power & Light, having already put $1.7bn into the plant site, decided to invest about $1bn in the coal conversion project. The plant is named after William H Zimmer who was elected President of Cincinnati Gas & Electric in 1962.

Photograph courtesy of Power
Re-posted 26 Aug 2009

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 03-Aug-2016

Home