Pumped-Storage Hydroelectric Plants in Poland
Operator: Zespol Elektrowni Wodnych Niedzica
Configuration: 2 X 46.4 MW Deriaz
T/G supplier: CKD, Skoda
EPC: Energoprojekt-Warszawa, Skansa
Quick facts: First studies for this PSP scheme began in 1950 and development work continued until 1964 when comprehensive land use planning through the Dunajec River basin was completed. Approval was granted in 1968 and construction got underway in 1970/71. The first water storage facilities were commissioned in 1994 and the entire project completed in 1997. Above the reservoir is Niedzica Castle, built in the 14th century by the Hungarians to protect an important trade route through the Dunajec Valley.
Photograph courtesy of Zespol Elektrowni Wodnych
Operator: PGE Energia Odnawialna SA
Configuration: 2 X 73 MW, 2 X 27 FPT
T/G supplier: CKD, Skoda, Voith
Quick facts: The upper reservoir in the Bieszczady Mountains is the largest in Poland at 2,100ha and this is the highest dam in the country (82m). The plant was modernized and uprated by Voith from 2000-2003. The optimization of the two larger vertical-shaft Francis turbines included a completely new runner, fitting into the existing wheel case. Whereas normally a performance increase of up to 30% would have been achieved, the Solina turbines, with unchanged speed ratings, had their discharge increased from 127 to 139 m³/s and ended up with capacities of 73 MW. The mural was finished in Jul 2015 and shows animlas typical of the region. The images were created by pressure washing.
Photograph courtesy of PGE
Operator: Elektrownie Szczytowo-Pompowe SA
Configuration: 4 X 170 MW FPT
T/G supplier: CKD, Hydroenergo
Quick facts: This is the largest hydraulic power plant in Poland. Zarnowiec Lake is used as the lower reservoir and a new upper reservoir was built on a nearby plateau.
Photograph courtesy of Stowarzyszenie Energii Odnawialnej
Operator: ENERGA Elektrownie Straszyn Sp zoo
Configuration: 1 X 50 MW Francis, 2 X 50 MW FPT
T/G supplier: CKD, Skoda
Quick facts: This site was first evaluated for hydroelectric development in the early 1930s. In 1957, plans were dusted off and work got underway in 1961. In 1964, a 220/110kV substation was built and a year later the main electromechanical contracts were signed. The scheme includes a 6m filtering dam on the River Radew. Lake Kamienno is the upper reservoir and Lake Kwiecko, situated 80m below, is the lower reservoir.
Photograph courtesy of Elektrownie Wodne Słlupsk Sp zoo
Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data BaseUpdated 17-Oct-2015