Hydroelectric Power Plants in Switzerland -
Schaffhausen, St Gallen, and Zurich

Butschwil Dietfurt
Location: St Gallen
Operator: Hydroelectra SA
Configuration: 1 X 95 kW Kaplan
Operation: 2002
T/G supplier: VA TECH

Photograph courtesy of Hydroelectra SA
Posted 28 Dec 2007

Butschwil Soor
Location: St Gallen
Operator: Hydroelectra SA
Configuration: 1 X 95 kW Kaplan
Operation: 2002
T/G supplier: VA TECH

Photograph courtesy of Hydroelectra SA
Posted 28 Dec 2007

Eglisau
Location: Zurich
Operator: Axpo AG
Configuration: 7 X 4.6 MW Francis, rebuilt with 7 X 6.7 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1915-1921, rebuilt 2012
T/G supplier: Voith, Siemens (rebuild)
Quick facts: In Feb 2007, Voith Siemens Hydro was awarded a contract to deliver new electromechanical equipment as part of the rehabilitation of the Eglisau power station. The power station is an architectural landmark with much of the facility in its original condition. In 85yrs of operation, the original equipment produced over 20 TWh of electricity for NOK Nordostschweizerische Kraftwerke AG. Using Kaplan turbines instead of the old Francis units increases the flow rate from 385 m³/s to 500 m³/s and is expected to increase annual plant output by about a third from 246 to 315 GWh.

Photograph courtesy of Axpo
Posted 16 May 2007

Mels Halde
Location: St Gallen
Operator: Hydroelectra SA
Configuration: 1 X 35 kW, 1 X 22 kW Spiral
Operation: 2001
T/G supplier: ??

Photograph courtesy of Hydroelectra SA
Posted 28 Dec 2007

Schaffhausen
Location: Schaffhausen
Operator: Kraftwerk Schaffhausen AG
Configuration: 2 X 12.7 MW Francis
Operation: 1963
T/G supplier: Sulzer, BBC
Quick facts: Water power facilities were first installed at this site in the 1831. The power station was modernized in 2004.

Photograph courtesy of Kraftwerk Schaffhausen AG
Posted 4 Jul 2005

Trempel Rebuild
Location: St Gallen
Operator: Kraftwerk Trempel AG
Configuration: 2 X 900 kW Spiral
Operation: 2007
T/G supplier: Hitzinger
EPC: Hydro-Solar AG, Bleiker + Partner AG, Ingenieurbüro A Frigg
Quick facts: This site was first used for hydropower in 1924, rebuilt in 1993, and rebuilt again in 2007. About 8 GWh/yr is supplied to St Gallisch Appenzeller Kraftwerke AG.

Photograph courtesy of Kraftwerk Trempel AG
Posted 23 Dec 2008

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 04-Nov-2013

Home