Hydroelectric Plants in Switzerland - Bern & Fribourg

Engehalde
Location: Bern
Operator: Energie Wasser Bern
Configuration: 1 X 46 kW Kaplan
Operation: 1998
T/G supplier: ??
EPC: IUB Ingenieur-Unternehmung AG
Quick facts: This SHP is on the left bank of the Aare River above Felsenau PS.

Photograph courtesy of Energie Wasser Bern
Posted 27 Dec 201

Felsenau Rebuild
Location: Bern
Operator: Energie Wasser Bern
Configuration: 1 X 11.5 MW bulb
Operation: 1989
T/G supplier: Sulzer Escher Wyss, ABB
Quick facts: Bern filed an application to build this plant in 1906. On 6 Nov 1909, three turbines totaling 2.6 MW were installed, followed by two additional groups in 1918. The plant was completely rebuilt beginning in 1986 and all the old generators replaced by a single new T/G set.

Photograph by Benedikt Jorns (Panoramio)
Posted 27 Dec 2010

Frinvillier
Location: Bern
Operator: Hydroelectra SA
Configuration: 1 X 33 kW Kaplan
Operation: 2003
T/G supplier: Kossler, Hitzinger
EPC: Hydro-Solar Energie AG, Stettler AG
Quick facts: From 1765 until 1869, Frinvillier provided energy to drive saws and mills. In that year, Heinrich Gruner built his first hydroelectric plant at the site. The concession was formalized in 1910 and extended in 1961 for 50 years. The main installations for the current plant were built between 1910 and 1924. In Apr 2004, Bern Canton awarded Hydroelectra a 40yr concession for power generation.

Photograph courtesy of Hydroelectra SA
Posted 28 Dec 2007

Innertkirchen-I
Location: Bern
Operator: Kraftwerke Oberhasli AG
Configuration: 5 X 41 MW Pelton
Operation: 1940-1942
T/G supplier: Sulzer Escher Wyss
Quick facts: This was one of Swizerland's key power projects during the Second World War. The plant was extensively refurbished from 2002-2007 at a cost of SF95mn.

Photograph courtesy of Kraftwerke Oberhasli AG
Posted 1 Oct 2008

Innertkirchen-II
Location: Bern
Operator: Kraftwerke Oberhasli AG
Configuration: 2 X 26 MW Francis
Operation: 1968
T/G supplier: BBC
Quick facts: This is the last plant in the Susten/Gadmental cascade.

Photograph by R Boesch and courtesy of Kraftwerke Oberhasli AG
Posted 1 Oct 2008

Jungfraubahn
Location: Bern
Operator: Jungfraubahn AG
Configuration: 4 X 1 MW, 1 X 2.25 MW (ret), 2 X 6.3 MW Pelton
Operation: 1908-2011
T/G supplier: ??
Quick facts: This SHP uses water from the River Lutschine. It  was originally built for traction power and was later used to power surrounding villages. The building was designed by Haller & Schindler from Zürich. In 1987, plans were made to repower the station and the two new machines came online in Mar and Jun 2011, respectively.

Photograph courtesy of Gemeinde Lutschental
Posted 25 Jun 2015

Maigrauge-Oelberg
Location: Fribourg
Operator: Groupe E SA
Configuration: 3 X 2.1 MW Francis, 2 X 5.5 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1910-1980
T/G supplier: Sulzer Escher Wyss, BBC
Quick facts: The Maigrauge Dam on the Sarine River was designed by Guillaume Ritter and completed in 1872. It is considered the oldest concrete dam in Europe. In 1909/10, the dam was raised and lengthened slightly and the first phase of the Oelberg powerhouse was built. From the intake structure, water enters a a 280m headrace tunnel to the surge tank, and from this enters three 30m penstocks to the powerhouse, originally equipped with three 1.85-MW Francis sets. In 1941, a second water intake and a new headrace tunnel were built along with a fourth T/G set. A fifth machine was added in 1956 and the original three Francis turbines replaced in 1980.

Photograph by Clement Dominik (wikipedia)
Posted 4 Oct 2008

Matte Rebuild
Location: Bern
Operator: Energie Wasser Bern
Configuration: 1 X 1.16 MW S-turbine
Operation: 1986
T/G supplier: Sulzer Escher Wyss, ABB
Quick facts: The first DC hydro plant at this location began operating in 1891. In the 1920s, new AC equipment of 1 MW was installed. The plant was rebuilt again in 1983. Severe floods in Aug 2005 damaged the installation and repairs were not completed until Apr 2007.

Photograph courtesy of Energie Wasser Bern
Posted 27 Dec 2010

Mühleberg WKW
Location: Bern
Operator: BKW AG
Configuration: 6 X 6-MW Francis, 1 X 9-MW Kaplan
Operation: 1920-1965
T/G supplier: Voest, Elin
Quick facts: This HPP on the River Aare was built from 1917-1920 and its main buildings are of historical significance. The weir and weir bridge were renovated between 2004 and 2006. Unit-7 supplies traction power to SBB. Average plant output is 160 GWh/yr. The Mühleberg NPP is just downstream.

Photograph by Chriusha (wikipedia)
Posted 4 Dec 2013

   
Wynau/Schwarzhäusern
Location: Bern
Operator: onyx Energie Mittelland
Configuration: 1 X 12 MW pit
Operation: 1996
T/G supplier: Sulzer
Quick facts: This site on the Aare River was first developed by Siemens starting in 1894. The current equipment replaces 4 Kaplan turbines installed in 1923.

Photograph courtesy of onyx Energie Mittelland
Posted 30 Jul 2006

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 25-Jun-2015

Home