Hydroelectric Plants in Russia - Northwestern (other) & Urals Federal Districts

Lesogorskaya
Location: Leningrad
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 2 X 23.5 MW, 2 X 29.5 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1937-2011
T/G supplier: Tampella, GE, Power Machines Group
EPC: Lenhydroproject
Quick facts: The original plant was designed and built by the Finns. The first set was commissioned in Mar 19367 and finished at the end of the year with four 23.5-MW groups. Until 1940, the site was in Finland. During World War II the plant was damaged. It was recommissioned on 19 Dec 1945. Units 1&2 have been completely rebuilt and re-started in 2010 and 2011, respectively. The other two sets are to follow by 2013.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 14 May 2011

Narva
Location: Leningrad
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 3 X 42 MW
Operation: 1955
T/G supplier: LMZ, Elektrosila
EPC: Lenhydroproject
Quick facts: The Narva power station is on the Narva River 2km downstream of the Narva Dam. The dam and reservoir is partially in Estonia. A proposal to build a power station in the area was first made in 1889. Surveys were started in 1907 and more work was undertaken by Estonia with Siemens in 1922. In 1945, final engineering work got underway and construction started in 1950.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 7 May 2011

Porozhskaya
Location: Chelyabinsk Oblast
Operator: Satka Municipality
Configuration: 2 X 550 KW, 1 X 260 kW
Operation: 1909
T/G supplier: Briegler Hansen & Co, BBC
Quick facts: This is one of the oldest operating hydroelctric plants in Russia. It was constructed by a wealthy local family to supply a ferroalloy plantplant and two villages. The original electromechanical equipment is largely intact, but the controls have been updated. The dam, powerhouse, and releated structures are of historical importance but their status is uncertain.

Photograph courtesy of englishrussia.com
Posted 23 Jun 2012

 
Svetogorskaya
Location: Leningrad
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 4 X 23.5 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1945-1947
T/G supplier: Tampella, GE
Quick facts: The sister hydro plants Svetgorskaya and Lesogorskaya comprise the Nevsky power complex. The plants were started prior to World War II and finished immediately thereafter. Both had complete electromechanical changeouts and replacement with new 30-MW Kaplan T/G sets.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 7 May 2011

Volkhovskaya
Location: Leningrad
Operator: TGC-1
Configuration: 4 X 8 MW, 4 X 12.25 MW Kaplan
Operation: 1927-2009
T/G supplier: LMZ, Electrosila, ASEA
EPC: Lenhydroproject
Quick facts: Volkhov is one of the earliest large-scale HPP in Russia. It was designed by Henry Osipovich Graftio beginning in 1902. Construction began in 1915 and continued after the Russian Revolution. The plant was opened in 1926 with Swedish equipment. Half the units have been rebuilt.

Photograph courtesy of TGC-1
Posted 8 May 2011

Abbreviations

Data: industcards, Platts UDI World Electric Power Plants Data Base

Updated 30-Dec-2016

Home